Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Journey Begins...


“Look for the good in people.” (Pollyanna, 1960)

Such a simple phrase, yet could we ask for any better advice in this life?  If we learn to live our lives with this thought in mind, this world may begin to look very different.  The grouchy cashier in the grocery store check-out lane becomes a fellow mother, one whose tired eyes and unkempt hair remind us that she, too, endures sleepless nights and devotes her life to her family.  And perhaps the endless, mundane workday becomes instead an opportunity to reach out to others, to be the bright spot in perhaps another endless, mundane day in their lives.  You really never know when your words may make someone’s day, change their outlook, or even save their life.

 I’m not denying that there is pain, suffering, and just plain evil in this world; it is all around us.  But that doesn’t mean it has to be in us.  Think about your daily life—the things you talk about with your family, your friends, your co-workers.  Are the topics cheerful, encouraging, and uplifting? Or do you find yourself complaining, worrying, and gossiping?  None of us is perfect, and therefore we tend to let the world get us down.  But don’t give up; don’t let the world win.  Every time you feel a complaint or a negative comment coming to mind, try to think about the consequences of what you are about to say.  Is there really a reason for saying it?  Will your comment change the situation, or just add to the problems?

And so my blog is born.  With little Pollyanna’s optimism in mind, I am setting out to look for the good—in people, in life, in my community.  Please join me on this quest, this journey to a new outlook on life.  I guarantee that the journey will not end in a perfect world, nor will your troubles be erased.  But perhaps I can send you off to work each morning, or off to bed each night, with a happy heart and a hopeful thought for tomorrow.  Stick around…”the best is yet to come”.



**BARGAIN ALERT!!!  If you live in the Quad-Cities and you are looking for bargains this weekend, head out to the CITY-WIDE garage sales in Blue Grass!  Today (Saturday, April 28th) from 7:00-2:00.  Happy hunting! :)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first post! I actually try to connect with the teenagers because they all seek attention one way or another. Every time my cashier at the grocery store is a teen, I say hello to them by name (name tag) and find something to compliment them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great thought! i should try to remember your advice...you are right, teenagers need that attention more than others! thanks for sharing..and thanks for following my blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Although this is a drab and dreary day my son Brady and I hit the city-wide garage sales in Blue Grass this morning. We set out, money in hand to see what "treasures" we could find. He managed to get a children's bible, some books, new shoes, a belt and some toys. I scored a whole van full of items for my children's pantry! I was so excited to come home and empty my van knowing how many lives would be better because of the deals I had gotten today. It feels so good not only to help out people in need, but to know that my actions can make a positive change in someone else's life. I have been blessed with this gift, and I wake up every day hoping to help out another family in need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicole...thank you for sharing your story! (you need to put your name on your blogger profile so people know who you are! get the word out about your pantry!)...can't wait to showcase your stuff soon, how about 2 weeks from now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I am so excited about this blog! What a great idea and something we could all use in our lives! I really enjoyed your first post and am looking forward to reading it every day!

    =) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks lisa! So glad you will be reading everyday....it makes us feel so connected! Share with your friends please!

    ReplyDelete