Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Surprise!

                         

On Sundays we will be celebrating the element of surprise.  What would life be without a little spontaneity, little surprises here and there?  No matter how big or small, surprises have always been one of my favorite things.  Surprise parties, buying the perfect unexpected gift, surprise visits from friends and family.  Seeing the look on people’s faces when something unexpected (and pleasant) happens to them is priceless!

When my husband and I bought our first home, we didn’t even tell anyone that we had met with a realtor.  We were moving closer to home, and we knew everyone would be excited.  So, we had secret meetings with our realtor—it was fun sneaking around and looking at houses!  When we had found the one, we signed the papers and drove straight to my parents’ house to tell them.  What a shocking knock at the door that was!  After my parents recovered from the surprise, we made the rounds and drove around to the rest of the family members’ doorsteps to tell them.  What a fun night! Everyone was very excited…they only had one complaint:  all of them thought we were showing up on their doorstep to tell them that I was pregnant!  (Don’t worry, they didn’t have to wait long…about a month later we were making the rounds yet again to share that baby #1 was on the way!)

I know that some people are not really big fans of surprises.  My mom would fall under this category.  However, my dad and I continue to surprise her year after year at her birthday.  Haha, Mom!  So, for those of you who prefer a heads-up, who like your days to be scheduled and predictable, I apologize in advance for my Sunday posts! J  I’d like to think of them as “grab bag” posts—a day to hear from guest bloggers, a time to discuss topics that maybe don’t fit into our other daily themes.  And yes, we may literally talk about surprises, too!  I have to admit this is one of the areas I’m most excited to work on…and I’d love to hear your input about what you’d like to read on your (hopefully) lazy Sundays at home with your families and friends.

Two questions for you today….first, are you a surprise-lover or a surprise-hater?  And second, what are some topics you would be interested in reading about on “Grab-Bag Sundays”?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! Another fun post: I think this is going to be one of the best parts of my day! =)

    I'd say I'm a surprise-lover; as long as it's a good surprise! Nice unexpected things can do so much to brighten a day. A few years ago on the first day of school (I'm a teacher) my mom cooked dinner for us, drove it over to our house (a 25 minute drive), and left it on the porch so I wouldn't have to cook that night. It was so awesome and totally unexpected!

    I love to surprise other people too; it's so much fun! I haven't done a good surprise in a while, hmmm.....

    I'll have to think about topic ideas for Sundays; I'll let you know if I come up with anything. =)

    Looking forward to tomorrow!
    =) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks again lisa! i love how your mom left you dinner on the doorstep...and as a fellow teacher, i KNOW how hard the beginning of the semester can be!
    thank you for your nice words about the blog, i'm glad to know that so many of you will be reading it everyday! :) let me know what you come up with for sundays, i'd love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE surprises! I love being surprised, but I really love surprising people, although I am not always the best secret keeper.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lindsay..glad you are a fellow "surprise-lover"! i will make sure not to tell you any secrets, though! :)

      Delete