Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Gift Closet.

I don’t know about you guys, but it seems like there’s a birthday, graduation, wedding, baby, etc. every week in our family and/or friends group!  How do we stay prepared?? I must admit, this is one of my better qualities.  I usually have gifts bought and ready well in advance, and almost always buy them on sale, on the clearance rack, or even at garage sales! (I’m not ashamed!) So today I’d like to hear back from you all…what are your best tips for being “party-ready”?  Here are a few of my own personal secrets, plus some tips that I’ve found online, in magazines, etc….

1.The Notebook:  Before I even think about buying or wrapping someone’s present, first I have to know what it is!  A couple years ago, I started carrying a little notebook in my purse around Christmas time, to keep a running list of who I had bought for, who I hadn’t, what I had spent on them, etc.  I’m sure many of you do this, too!  But after Christmas, I decided to keep the notebook in my purse for further use---whenever I think of something that a friend or family member might like, or maybe I see it at the store and decide to wait for it to go on sale, or better yet, when he or she mentions something that they would like to have, I pull out my little notebook and make a note of it!  It’s such an easy thing to do, and you can customize it to your own plans (i.e. maybe you don’t need to keep track of how much you spent, but maybe you do need to keep track of the name of that tool that your husband keeps mentioning that he would like to have…)

2. The Gift Closet:  I’m sure you all have a place where you put these gifts-to-be.  Recently I’ve been clearing out a space in my bedroom closet for all of the gifts that I have bought for upcoming events.  It’s still not very organized, which is why I am not posting a picture of my own closet!, but at least now I can see all of the things I have.  If you have any space in any of your closets, I would highly recommend setting aside a shelf or two for this purpose.  Then, when someone reminds you that the baby shower is next weekend, you don’t have to say “oh no, I know that I bought her the cutest little outfit, but where did I put it?”. You just walk happily over to your gift closet, maybe even singing a happy tune while you walk there, and you pull out the intended gift, all ready to go. (*see tip #4 for how to make your gifts “ready to go”)

3. The Universal Gifts:  In addition to the “planned” gifts, my shelf also has some unassigned gifts.  These are things that I pick up from time to time at the store, maybe on the clearance rack or an impulse buy in the check-out lane.  Basically, these are items that I bought without a recipient in mind, but they actually turn out to be quite handy! (For example, if there’s a candle on sale for a couple bucks, or maybe a little stationery set, or a good-looking book/journal…) You never know when you may need to take a gift with you for someone, and if you have a few of these things stashed away, it will definitely be worth it!

4. Wrap it Up:  The final step.  But not always the easiest!  You’ve found that cute little outfit that you bought for the baby shower, and you run to your gift closet to wrap it up quick.  But wait. You realize that all you have is Christmas wrapping paper, all of your gift bags are for weddings or birthdays, and you are completely out of tissue paper. How do we avoid this dilemma? After reading an article about gift-wrapping recently, I’ve realized that just a few small steps can really help you feel more organized and more prepared for upcoming events:

                --The Basics:  Keep a separate pair of scissors, a roll of tape, and some pens nearby  (or in) your gift closet).

                --Brown Paper Packages:  A lot of people are starting to use the basic, “brown paper” wrapping paper to wrap their gifts.  I really like this idea.  I bought a few rolls of colorful ribbon at the craft store (on sale, of course!), and that way I can make the brown paper package fit the occasion (black and white ribbon for weddings; pastels for babies; brights for birthdays; etc.).  I really like the fresh, clean look of the brown paper…and besides, every time I wrap a present with it, I think of Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, singing “My Favorite Things”. J

                --Color Scheme:  This was something I hadn’t considered until reading a home magazine lately. If you keep all of your supplies (paper, ribbon, bags, tags, etc.) in the same color scheme , or pattern, then you don’t have to worry about wrapping at the last minute and ending up with an  old easter bunny bag with a Christmas tag stuck on the side of it.



I know it may seem silly to go into so much detail about gifts, gift wrap, etc.  The reason I wanted to write this post is this:  I think that gift-giving is becoming somewhat of a lost art.  People are sending birthday emails instead of cards in the mail, or sending virtual birthday cakes and balloons on Facebook.  This is all fun, too, but I really do cherish the importance of a good gift.  And in my opinion, the definition of a good gift does not mean how much money someone spent on it. I really do agree with the old saying, “it’s the thought that counts”.  I absolutely LOVE to buy gifts for my friends and family…I get so much joy out of looking through the aisle for things they may like!  And for me, it’s even better when I find the gift well in advance, and I know that it’s sitting on the shelf, waiting for them to open it! J (Plus, if I can get it at a bargain price, it’s just that much more exciting…and did you know that the Dollar Store has some of the cutest gift wrap and bags? Plus they have big packs of tissue paper in all different colors…for a dollar!)

So, tell me…what are your thoughts on gift-giving? Do you love it or hate it?  What are some of your tips for staying sane while preparing all the gifts that we give to our loved ones?  And, if you’re brave enough, please share your thoughts on “re-gifting”. I always love to hear what people think about that!

2 comments:

  1. I love gift giving! I have to make sure I plan ahead thought. I do not enjoy it nearly as much if I wait until the last minute and am forced to find something the person would like (or I hope they would). I try to get gifts early so I can be sure to find just the right thing.

    I also love sending cards, and finding the perfect one. I've started to buy cards when I see one that would be great for someone, instead of waiting until I need it. I just file it away in my little card organizer box and hope I remember it's there when I need it. :)

    I don't think there's anything wrong with re-gifting! I can't remember ever doing it myself, but if I received something I knew I wouldn't use and thought someone else would really like it, I think I'd go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your input, lisa! Glad to know there are more gift-giving-lovers out there! Especially your comment about the greeting card aisle...i have to try really hard to keep myself away from there! :)

      Delete