Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mmmmm....Wednesdays!

In order to get you through the work week, or the stay-at-home week, Wednesdays will be devoted to helping you in the kitchen.  It will actually be a collaboration between myself and my best friend, Laura.  Here’s why:

Laura has a degree in Culinary Arts.  She has worked in numerous restaurants, currently runs her own kitchen in a local retirement home, and also has her own catering business on the side. Need I say more?

Me, on the other hand? No culinary degree for me.  Just a love of good food, cooking, and especially baking.

Laura will be here to tell you the secrets of a real chef—the how to’s, time-saving tips, presentation ideas, etc.  I will be here with my favorite recipes (Laura doesn’t use recipes, of course) to share with you.  I will also be sharing the secrets of a non-chef (AKA a working mom)…how to plan easy and cheap meals, how to make something out of the four items left in your refrigerator, etc.  Whatever your kitchen needs, we are here to help you find “the good”.

And so, let the journey begin where every journey ought to begin:  with dessert.  We recently hosted a cook-off at our house (Laura was one of the contestants, of course), and although I was not a contender, I did provide the dessert, as per chef Laura’s request:  Strawberry Shortcakes.  This was the first time I had made them, and it was a grand success.  Everyone was talking about them for days!  I highly encourage you to make this recipe as soon as humanly possible; it was so delicious.

The recipe is from the April 2012 issue of Taste of Home magazine…you will soon learn that many of my recipes are not my own, but instead found in magazines or cookbooks.  I’m not ashamed!  However, I can assure you that I have made all of the recipes at least once, and I am only sharing with you the ones that I have found both easy and delicious.

Fresh Berry Shortcakes
Prep Time: 35 minutes, Bake Time: 20 minutes, Yield: 10 servings
Ingredients
(berry topping)
5 cups sliced fresh strawberries (or berries of your choice)
½ cup sugar
¼ cup orange juice

(shortcakes)
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. grated orange peel
½ tsp. salt
½ cup cold butter, cubed
1 ½ cups plus 1 tbsp. heaving whipping cream, divided
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Coarse sugar, optional

(whipped cream)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract

Instructions:  In a small bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar and orange juice; set aside.  For shortcakes, combine the flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Whisk 1 ½ cups cream, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times.  Roll out to 1-inch thickness, cut with floured 3-in. scalloped or round biscuit cutter.  Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  Brush tops with 1 tbsp. cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  For whipped cream, beat cream in a large bowl until it begins to thicken.  Add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.  Just before serving, cut shortcakes in half horizontally.  Place bottoms on dessert plates; top with strawberry mixture.  Replace tops; dollop with whipped cream.

Sara’s Note:  Because I had a large group of people, I rolled the dough out to about ½ inch thick (instead of 1 inch), in order to make more shortcakes.  For this reason, I baked mine for only 12 minutes.  To be honest, most people said these were the best shortcakes they’ve eaten because they were not so thick.  Just thought I’d share that with you! ( I also never have parchment paper on hand, so I just lightly sprayed my baking sheet with Pam).

Buen Provecho! (Bon Apetit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment