Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Letter to my Second-Born

Today’s grab-bag topic is my second-born son, Cooper Alonzo.  As you read this blog today, we will be celebrating his second birthday with our family and friends.  And even as I write these words, I can not believe that my baby boy will be two years old this Tuesday! I have been keeping journals for the boys since before they were born, so I am always writing to them, but this is my chance to let the world hear! A big thank you to Robin at Pink Dryer Lint (www.pinkdryerlint.com) for the idea to post “letters” on the blog to each of my wonderful children.  And so, this one is for Cooper.

To My Second-born Son:

First breakfast with Mommy
I will never forget the day you joined our family.  You must have been anxious to meet us, because you arrived in record time! Only 67 minutes after I checked into the emergency room, I was holding you in my arms.  You were such a beautiful baby…dark brown (almost black) hair, and such a pretty olive-skin color!  At 6 pounds 13 ounces, you were no smaller than the average baby, but you seemed incredibly tiny to Daddy and I, after your brother had come out at a whopping ten pounds!  I remember sitting in the hospital that night, and instead of holding you, we kept laying you out on the bed with us to talk about how small you were!  The next morning, I propped you up on the pillow next to me while I ate breakfast, and Daddy took our picture. I absolutely love that picture of you…so tiny!

Meeting big brother for the first time!
Your first few weeks of life were very busy…we brought you home to Grandma and Grandpa’s house, where we were living at the time.  Those first days were spent packing up our things, trying to get your big brother used to having another little one in Mommy and Daddy’s life, and adjusting to life in our new home.  You were such a good baby.  You slept a lot, and snuggled with your “bobo” blankie (before you were born, your brother referred to you as “bobo”).  As if you weren’t beautiful enough when you were born, you just kept getting more and more beautiful!  Big eyes like mommy, dark skin like your Grandpa, and the cutest little body!  You loved to be in your big, soft swing (you looked so tiny in there!), and Mommy had to watch you every minute, because your 21-month-old “big brother” was not very good with baby brother!  Don’t worry…he didn’t mean it!

Your first Christmas!
Through these past two years, you have grown into such a handsome boy. Your hair has gotten a little lighter, but your skin is still to-die-for brown. You are still so little, and I cannot believe that it has been two years since that day, when Grandma and I welcomed you into the world and Daddy came running in only two minutes too late!  You have learned to hold your own with your big brother, and these days it’s usually him that comes running and crying for Mommy!

Your FIRST birthday!
Although you may be small in size (you are still only about 25 pounds), you have enough personality for a whole boat-load of kids!  You love anything Toy Story, and you run around the house with your arms outstretched, yelling “Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!”  You love juice (I’ve never seen a kid drink so much of anything…) and now you just walk over to the cupboard, get out your cup and lid, and bring it to me or Daddy to fill up.  You are talking more and more every day, especially these last few weeks.  You call your brother Sam “Sammie”, and you follow him around like he’s the only person in the whole world to you.  I pray that I never, ever forget  these days with my boys, and that I always remember the adorable things you both do every day.  We thought that you would be the quiet one of the bunch, but you are proving to be quite the feisty one!  In fact, you threw yourself quite the fit last night in the frozen aisle at Wal-Mart! But hey, most of the time you are a sweet, sweet boy.  That's all that matters!

You are so precious, Cooper Alonzo.  You are loved by so many, and at the top of that list is your Mommy, your Daddy, and your big brother Sam.  Our family would not be complete without you, and that day we brought you home in your little blue shirt with the brown squirrel on it was one of the best days of our lives!  You bring so much joy and laughter to our home, and we love you more than you will ever know.








Happy second birthday, my little second-born.  Mommy loves you.


No comments:

Post a Comment