Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Two Favorite Surprises


In honor of “Surprise Sundays”, let me share with you the two best surprises that have ever happened to me:

Friday, August 22, 2008.

After nearly five weeks of complete misery, my first baby boy finally decided to make his appearance.  The doctors, and nurses, had been telling me for weeks that he was coming, to stay nearby the hospital, to leave my house at the first hint of labor. Friday morning comes…my husband is at work, so my parents are staying with me.  I feel some contractions, decide to get ready.  Feel a few more, decide to pack the bag.  By the time we get in the car, I feel one big one, and tell my dad to hurry!  We arrive at the hospital around 10:00 AM.  My mom and I wait anxiously to hear if today is the day (after I have had one too many false alarms).  The doctor comes in to check me out, and says “you’re going to have your baby today!”.  My mom cries, we call my husband, and I get myself ready for the unknown.  I no longer have pain—the doctor tells me to walk a few flights of stairs.  I walk 8 flights.  They wonder why he isn’t coming faster, so they do an ultrasound.  Everything looks good, he’s a healthy baby, about 8 pounds they say.  They decide to break my water (not pleasant), and then it hurts.  The first word out of my mouth is “epidural”, and so they get me one.  By now it is around 3:30 PM.  I am ready to push, they say.  As I push, my husband holds my legs so tight that I get bruises.  After about an hour and a half of pushing, my perfect firstborn son comes out and screams his first scream at 5:51 pm.  Here comes the surprise….the nurse takes him over to clean him up, and sets him on the scale.  She picks him up, re-starts the scale, and weighs him again.  She motions to the doctor, who goes over, and they weigh him a third time.  By now, my husband has gone to see what all the fuss is about.  My baby, our baby, weighs 10 pounds 1 ounce and is 22 ¼ inches long.  Now that is a BIG surprise!  (…..for those of you who don’t know me, I am 5’6” and normally weigh around 110 pounds...NO one saw that coming!)
Samuel Roark

Saturday, May 29, 2010.

My now 21-month-old son wakes up unusually early (around 5:00) and wants to read books.  This is very out of the ordinary.  Nevertheless, I get him a few books and we read.  He drifts back to sleep, and I am about to do the same, but then a big sharp pain….my first contraction with baby #2.  I look at my phone to see what time it is: it’s 5:51AM (exactly the time that big brother was born).  About 20 minutes later, another contraction.  I sleep in between them, and get out of bed a couple hours later.  They are coming about every 10 minutes, but not as hard, so I load up my son in the car and we go to the Farmer’s Market with my parents.  I push the stroller, my mom sees me stop and hang on to the handle tightly.  “Are you ok?” she asks.  “Yes, just another contraction” I answer.  We buy some candied popcorn for my boy, and I buy myself a loaf of bread.  The market vendor says “Are you going to have your baby soon?”  and I say “Yes, I think today!”  Everyone laughs, but I’m not kidding.  We leave the market around 9:30AM, and we go home.  I decide to lay down on the couch, my mom runs an errand, and my dad takes my son for a walk.  I’m laying on the couch, sending text messages to my friends and calmly telling them I’m sure that I’m in labor.  When the contractions are 4 minutes apart, I call my doctor, who is out riding his bike.  “Meet me at the hospital,” he says.  So, we load up the car and drive.  I check in the emergency room at 11:07AM.  They offer me a wheelchair, and I say “no, that’s ok, I can walk”.  My mom and I walk to the elevator; my dad takes my son to play at the fountain.  We check in to labor and delivery, and the nurse says “you are almost ready to have the baby!”.  We call my husband, I ask for the epidural, and my nightmare comes true:  it’s too late to have the epidural, I’m too far along.  They offer to bring me some pain meds, and I wait impatiently for them.  The nurse comes to put in the I.V. and says “oh, I forgot something”.  She walks out for a minute, and then I feel it.  I turn to my mom and say, “I think his head is coming out”.  She runs for the nurse, who calmly says “oh, honey, that’s just some pressure. It’s normal”.  She comes over to check and be sure…and then she runs to the hall.  I was right---his head was coming out!  No time for pain meds or IV’s.  The doctor comes running in just as I push.  After a few hard pushes, I feel his head come out.  I look at my mom and say “now I have to prepare for the shoulders, I remember that was hard the first time”.  She looks at me and laughs, tells me to look over at the doctor, who is holding my son.  Surprise….he is here!  The time is now 12:14.  My husband is  driving his semi-truck at ridiculous speeds down residential streets. He walks in just as they take him to the scale.  For nine months I have feared what size baby comes after the 10-pound firstborn, but I can see that he is nowhere near that size.  The scale reads 6 pounds 13 ounces.
Cooper Alonzo
 

I sure do love surprises, but I can’t think of any better surprise in the whole world than these two precious, precious boys that call me Mommy.  One surprised us by coming out the size of a 3-month old, and the other by arriving in just over an hour.  And I wouldn’t trade either experience for the world.  I am anxious (very anxious) to see what surprises their little sister has in store for us when she arrives this summer.  Only 3 more months until her story is told!

No comments:

Post a Comment