Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

This One's For The Children (Community Spotlight: Nikki's Hearts Children's Pantry)


I can’t begin to explain how excited I am for today’s post.  This is exactly what I wanted to do with this blog:  help people.  Today I’d like to tell you a little bit about Nikki’s Hearts Children’s Pantry.  This is a wonderful local program (here in Davenport) started by my friend’s sister, Nikki.  Basically, it is a place where families in need can go to find much-needed items for their children of all ages.  It is an excellent resource for parents who are struggling to provide for their children, and Nikki has helped so many already!  Please read my interview with Nikki, and when you are finished reading, I pray that you will seriously consider helping out with this cause!  (And if you are not a member of  our local community, don't be afraid to search out a program like this one in your local area! Can't find one?  Maybe you could start one!)



Sara:  How did the Children’s Pantry get started?  What was your inspiration?

Nikki: When my youngest Brady was born, his dad and I were struggling financially, and we had no place to turn to for help with things like diapers, formula, clothing, toys, etc. I heard of a church in another state that has a baby pantry, but they specifically cater to babies. I wanted to be able to help out all kids. So, thinking that there should be a place willing to help out children of any age, I began my own children’s pantry and started doing just that.

Sara: What is your greatest pleasure from doing this?

Nikki: My greatest pleasure is the hug or the heartfelt thank you I get when I help out a family. That feeling of knowing you were able to make a difference, even if just a small one, in a needy child’s life.  I wish I could explain the feeling I get when I see hope come back into a hopeless mom’s eyes, or the joy on the face of the child who has clothes that fit, or some new toys to play with. It makes all the hard work, long hours and headaches worth every second of it!

Sara: Do you have a specific story/family that you will always remember helping?  Why did this one stick out in your memory?

Nikki: I helped out a single dad who was getting custody of his 2 young children. He was a single man, working full-time, and barely making ends meet.  DHS expected him to have everything the 2 kids would need by a specific date, and he had just a grocery bag full of clothes for them. He needed everything for them. I put out a message that I needed help with this family, and people offered up everything he needed. We were able to get it all delivered to him (because he has no car) and all set up. His custody battle is not over, but those 2 kids have everything they need now! As the kids outgrow things, he is donating back the old items to get newer ones. It’s a great cycle.


Sara: What are your goals with the Pantry?  In the next 6 months, 1 year?

Nikki: My goal in the next six months is to have a place to run it out of besides my garage. In a year? To have helped out as many people as I can. As of now, I have helped out 231 kids in 8 months. I knew the need was big, but I had no idea just how big it was! I look forward to reaching as many needy families as I can, restoring hope to the hopeless , and seeing smiles on the children’s faces when they receive their items.


Sara: What do you want people to know most about Nikki’s Hearts Children’s Pantry? (Where can they go to donate, how can they spread the word, etc.)

Nikki: What I want people to know is our contact info: You can reach me by phone/text @ 563-570-2596 or by visiting the Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nikkis-Hearts-Childrens-Pantry/261613630550194. Here are some of the items needed for the pantry:
-We will accept clothing from preemie to 14/16 in girls and 18/20 in boys as well as maternity clothes. We will also accept baby items such as: cribs ( no drop-side cribs), bassinets, pack-n-plays or playpens, car seats ( not expired ones), strollers, bouncers, jumperoos, high chairs, walkers, exersaucers, baby bath tubs, swings, monitors, diapers, wipes, formula, blankets, bottles, toys, etc.  Basically anything a baby or child may need will be accepted! Please only clean items!

-Also accepted will be:
Clothes baskets
Empty totes (with or without lids)
Plastic grocery bags
Plastic shelves

There are many families in need in this area, and every donation will directly help a family in need! Thank you and may God Bless You! Please feel free to contact me with questions or donations!

(The address to drop off donations is 2810 W 70th St Davenport Iowa 52806)

No comments:

Post a Comment