Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Simple DIY (do-it-yourself) Project

Because we are expecting our third baby this summer, we decided to get our boys moved to their new big-boy bedroom and get them settled a few months before their baby sister arrives.  They have been in their new room for about 2 months, and it has been working out great.  With that accomplished, my next task was to turn their room (previously blue and green with frogs) into a girl’s room!  The good news is, I’ve never been a fan of pink and purple and flowery and all that, so I didn’t plan on changing it a whole lot, but I did want it to look like a baby girl’s room, not a boy’s room.
Before: Blue and Green Frogs
I decided that I could handle a little bit of pink, but I also wanted to add a touch of orange.  I took out most everything that was blue, and left all of the green stuff.  So, I had my colors to work with now:  pink, orange, and green (all of them bright shades, not pastels).  The boys didn’t have much on their walls, but they did have two square frog pictures above their crib.  I took these down (yes, I cried when I did it!), and decided to make my own replacement.  Off to the craft store!

So here’s today’s do-it-yourself project for your home:  making wall art (or any decorations, for that matter) to match exactly the colors you want, the theme you want, etc.  After all, we can always find something we like at the store, but the idea of finding multiple things at multiple stores and trying to get them all to coordinate? That’s just overwhelming!

Materials: Canvas, Adhesive, and Scrapbook Paper
Here’s what I did:  I went and bought two 10x10 canvas pieces at Joann Fabrics, just the size I needed to replace the two frog pictures.  Then I went hunting in the scrapbook paper aisle until I found the perfect one for my little girl---and there it was! Bright pink, bright orange, and bright green—definitely girly, but not too flowery and princess-ish for mommy!  I found two coordinating prints and some Mod Podge adhesive, and went home to get to work. 

As this was my first time doing a project like this, my plan was to cut out a 10x10 piece of the paper and then stick it on the canvas, and maybe paint the sides pink or orange to match.  But as a friend suggested, the paper was bigger than the canvas, so why not just wrap it like a Christmas present? (Thanks for the suggestion, Tim!).  So that’s what I did, and it worked out great!  The Mod Podge is so easy to use…just get a foam brush, brush it all over the surface of your canvas (be careful to smooth out the edges!), and then carefully place the paper on top.  For a “glossy” look, I bought the glossy type, and also brushed it on top of the paper after it was firmly attached to the canvas.  I let them sit over night, and the next day I put them up on her wall above her crib.  It was finally starting to look like a girl’s room!
After: Pink, Orange and Green Shoes!


While I was putting some of her clothes away the other day, I looked around and thought of another idea for the scrapbooking paper that I had leftover, as well as the Mod Podge.  I cut out some of the shapes on the paper, and then stuck them onto the drawers of her plastic shelves from Ikea.  It looked so cute!  I cut out a few more, and stuck them on some of the other little plastic items in her room. I was so proud of myself!

And, for my last project…I bought a third and final coordinating piece of the paper, and am going to buy a 12x12 canvas to attach it to (thought I would mix up the sizes, to make it less uniform). This paper has a lot of empty space, but that’s because I bought some pink alphabet/number stickers…which I will be using to put her name and birthdate on it when she arrives!  Can’t wait!
3 more months until this has a name and birthdate on it!

 I definitely recommend trying this project in your home. If you have a wall that’s just “missing something”, head on over to the craft store and look through the scrapbooking paper. I bet you will find at least one pattern that matches your colors/theme, if not more.  Simply wrap it around your piece of canvas, and you’ve got yourself some custom wall art! And it didn’t cost an arm and a leg, either!

*I bought all of my items on sale or with coupons, and I also receive the 15% teacher discount at JoAnns.  The total cost for the three wall hangings and decorating the plastic bins was approximately $17.  Can’t beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment