Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Magic Sauce?

A few nights ago, I went to a little party with some of my friends from the Quad City Moms Blog . There were 8 or 9 of us there, and 4 of us are currently pregnant. So, naturally, the conversation got around to pregnancy stories and birth stories.  LOTS of stories!

Anyhow...Wednesdays we look for the good in food.  This week, I was looking for the magic in food!  As we discussed our pregnancies, our labors, and the births of our previous children, we started talking about ways to jump-start labor.  I am currently between 36 and 37 weeks, so I guess I can see why people don't understand my rush to have this baby girl.  However, I have been having consistent contractions, back pain, headaches, insomnia, ....the list goes on, for over 2 months now!!!  So, when two of the girls at the party (who are sisters) mentioned that they both went into labor after eating homemade spaghetti sauce (and their other sister did, too!), I was itching to make some sauce of my own!

super fresh herbs...NOTHING smells better!
I googled the validity of spaghetti sauce putting women into labor, and it turns out it's a pretty popular story!  There is a restaurant that has become famous for women going into labor after eating the eggplant parmagiana, but it turns out it's really the fresh oregano and basil that can have an effect on the body and make the uterus begin to contract. So.....yesterday I loaded up my boys and we went to the grocery store for some crushed tomatoes and some veggies to put in our sauce.  On the way home, we stopped at Chef Laura's garden for some very fresh oregano and basil...we even watched her cut it off the plant!

As I made dinner last night, I almost laughed at myself.  I was cutting up so much basil and oregano, you would have thought I was making dinner for 30 or 40 people!  Nope.  Just me, Matt and the boys (and my dad stopped by, too).  Needless to say, the sauce tasted very strongly of herbs!!  After eating a too-big portion, I literally felt like I had eaten a garden.  Then we sat down and waited to see what would happen...I actually did start having a lot of contractions, some even big ones and quite uncomfortable!  But...as you can assume since I am writing this blog right now, the contractions did not lead to a baby!

So I guess the magic sauce didn't work for me.  But, in the end, Matt and I had a good laugh, and I have to admit, it was a pretty good dinner.  Good food and a good laugh...it doesn't get much better than that!

The final product:  Good. But not magic.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...I'll have to try this on me in a couple months. Hopefully your lil one comes soon!

    ReplyDelete