Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Year of the Couch.


Another garage-sale tale...

...a couple years ago, my mom and her friend dubbed it "the year of the furniture" from the garage sales.  It seemed like every week we were buying pieces of furniture at the sales.  We laughed so hard; our cars were so full that we would have to unload and head back out 2 or 3 times in a single day!
...fast forward to 2012, which we have deemed not the year of the furniture, but more specifically, "the year of the couch".  I'm not sure exactly how many couches we've gotten, but I know we got two in the past week, and this last one was the ULTIMATE couch bargain. 
My Aunt Becky has been looking for another couch for her house, and this weekend she and my mom were at a sale, and my mom saw a rather new-looking couch in the back of the garage. She asked if it was for sale, and the woman said "sure, it's for sale. We bought it and it wouldn't fit down our hallway, so we've never even used it".  My mom asked how much she wanted for it, and the woman said "How about $75?"
$75 for a brand new couch.  Ashley Furniture. Never even been sat on!  Now, you may think this is the end of the story...but remember who we are talking about here.  My mom, the ultimate bargain-hunter.  "I'll give you $50," she says.

And so, there is a brand new couch in my garage, waiting for Becky to take it to her house.  And it cost her $50.  It really is the year of the couch, no questions asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment