Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

A Goldilocks Moment


These past few days I’ve been really uncomfortable (the story of my life these days!).  But at the same time I’ve been thinking about how happy I am that we live here in the Quad Cities.  Not just because my family and friends are here, or because I grew up here, but because this size area is “just right” for me…not too big, not too small, “just right”.


my beloved Sevilla
I’ve always loved big cities, and to be honest if I didn’t have kids I think I would probably live in one.  During college I lived in Seville, Spain for a semester—population   . (and during Semana Santa, or Holy Week, the population grows temporarily to    people!)  I loved living there, and I’ve loved every big city in our country that I have ever visited.  One of my best friends lives in Chicago, and when I go to visit her I can imagine myself living there.  But, then I think about city life with two (almost three) kids under 4 years old…and I know it’s just not for me.  Not right now!

Good ol' Wilton Iowa
On the other end of the spectrum, small towns…there are definitely plenty of those in Iowa!  As I’ve mentioned before, we lived in Wilton, Iowa (population  ) for just under 2 years.  The people of Wilton were great, and there were some things I really liked about living there.  It was quiet, and we had lots of long, long walks there while I prepared for the birth of my first son.  However, going through my first pregnancy in a town where every place with food closes before the sun goes down and the cheapest carton of ice cream is about $8 (no joke!), I realized that small town life is not for me.  I like to go to Walgreens at 10pm (or later), just because.



And so, my ‘Goldilocks moment’.  The Quad Cities are not too big, not too small…for me (and my family), it’s perfect here.  No traffic jams, no tourists running around.  And, there’s more than one restaurant and about a thousand places to get ice cream.  This week, as I’m dealing with the last month of pregnancy, temperatures above 100 degrees every day, and lugging around my two boys, I am so thankful for this community.  I’m thankful that I can drive from my house to any number of my family members’ homes without a bit of traffic.  I’m thankful that when I’m craving a Crunch bar, I can drive to Kwik Shop in a matter of minutes.  This town is just the right fit for me…and I hope I remember to not take it for granted.  Let’s try to remember the reasons we love where we live (no matter where you live!) and be thankful for that on a daily basis...keep looking for "the good" in your community!

No comments:

Post a Comment