Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Community Spotlight: John Deere Commons


If you live in the Quad-City Area, you know what the John Deere Commons is.  But, have you been there?  I have to admit, before I had kids, I think the only time I had been there was to take my little cousin Bruno to see the tractors.  No offense, but I didn’t see the attraction—considering I had grown up in Iowa, I had seen my fair share of tractors and didn’t understand why it was so exciting to walk into a room full of them..

They were so enthralled they wouldn't even look at the camera!
…but now I am the mother of two boys. And now I understand.  It’s like a dream come true for them—life size toys!  And you can “drive” them!  They are literally fascinated; their eyes just light up when we walk into that place.  This week we had a whole carful of boys along…their cousin Bruno is here visiting from Boston, we had their cousin Jack and their friend Landon. Five boys and a room full of tractors is truly a blast.  Watching them run from one big machine to the next (no, I do not know the names of any  of them, I’m sorry!) is so fun for me.  And even their Daddy is enthralled by the big green and yellow monsters!

Playing on the smart board
Since we last went to visit the John Deere Commons, they have added a lot of new things; lots of informative videos and demonstrations, but more importantly (at least in our case), they now have little tables full of tractors and other toys for the kids to play with.  And a Smart Board for them to write on…what a genius idea! (Heck, when I was a Teaching Assistant at the University of Iowa, even all of us graduate students used to fight over the Smart Board!  Those things are cool!)






Playing tractors
This week I was reminded of what a great community the Quad-Cities truly is…as I take my boys around to all of the great places in our town (we’ve also been to Vander Veer twice and the Davenport sprinkler park twice…all in the last week), I am thankful that they get to grow up in a place like this. As we were driving home today, Matt said to me, “what do people do in the cities?” . I had to laugh, because obviously there are a million things to do in a city, but I think what he meant is that kids love space, they love big parks with lots of grass to run around and play their own games.  And although I really do love the city and always thought I would live in one, I can honestly say  that there isn’t anywhere else I would rather raise my kids than right here in good ol’ John Deere country.

Tonight I am thankful for tractors, for good friends and family, and most of all, for my boys.

My little tiny Cooper in the great big tractor!

No comments:

Post a Comment