Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Surprises: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

This past week, and this upcoming week, are full of surprises in our family.  Some have been good, some have been not-so-great...

On Tuesday, my grandma and my mom's birthday, the plan was to surprise my grandma for her 80th birthday...the surprise was two-fold.  Not only were we having a "surprise party" (she knew we were having dinner, but not that we had invited some of her oldest, dearest friends), but her youngest daughter and grandson were flying in that day to surprise her as well.  They were going to hide out at my house until dinnertime, and surprise her at the party. Well...that didn't exactly happen. My uncle, who didn't come with them this time, called to tell my grandma happy birthday, and told her to enjoy her time with Kathy and Bruno and he's sorry he couldn't make it this time.  Yup, he ruined the surprise.  Turns out we had made sure to tell everyone not to tell about Kathy's arrival, but we had failed to tell her own husband that it was a surprise!

My grandma and her friends
On the bright side, everyone was very happy to see Kathy and Bruno, and the surprise party went by without a hitch.  My grandma was so surprised and she thoroughly enjoyed the evening with some of her best friends.  It was so fun to watch her enjoy her special day!

Now, the ugly...in the past 10 days or so, both of my kids have been sick.  Two of their cousins have been sick.  My mom has been in bed for 4 days now.  And, as of today, another of their cousins, as well as my husband, are dealing with a high fever and just plain yuckiness. Now that is a surprise that no one wants to see coming their way!  Unfortunately it came my way as well...but it was accompanied by more contractions and severe leg pain, which altogether led to my doctor sending me to the hospital to get checked out.  BOO to those surprises. BOO.

Boy or Girl???
But let's end on a good note...and this one is a great one!  Only 3 days from now, my best friend (chef Laura) will be finding out the gender of her baby.  The suspense is literally killing me.  I cannot wait to find out if I'm getting a niece or a nephew in December!!!  I'm sure she will think of a super-cute way to tell us, too.  Yet another surprise to be excited about!  Hooray!

This week I am wishing all of you some happy, surprise-filled moments.  None of the bad and ugly stuff...and if you come anywhere near my family members, make sure to wash your hands! :)

2 comments:

  1. awwh, that is so nice that you planned a birthday party for your grandmother! And then to have family members fly in...even beter!

    I hope everyone gets better soon!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks tonya! and thank you for reading the blog! i hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete