Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cardboard, Styrofoam and Duct Tape: Good, Cheap Fun.

Franklin the Knight
The other day, Sam and I were reading one of his Franklin the Turtle books.  In the book, Franklin and his friends are going to play knights, so he makes a costume.  Sam asked me if we could make one, too.  Of course I said yes, but I really had no clue how to do it!  Luckily, his daddy was almost home from work.  As soon as Matt walked in the door, Sam bombarded him with questions about how they could make a knight costume just like Franklin's.  And then the project began...





Daddy and Sam
Since I'm on moderate bed rest, I was laid up on the couch while the whole thing took place (which was probably a good thing, because my dining room literally  looked like a battle had taken place!). 






Getting excited...
Anyhow, watching the two of them walk to the garage, and hearing them tear apart the box from our new air-conditioner, just put a smile on my face... 








Helping Daddy...

About an hour later, when Sam emerged wearing his new cardboard knight hat, his cape from his aunt Annie, and his new styrofoam sword, I was amazed.  It actually looked just like the picture from his book!

Sam the Knight!
You just never know what's going to make your kids happy...or what will keep them occupied for over an hour!  So, the next time you are out searching the clearance aisles for bargains, remember that sometimes (many times) all our kids need is some quality time with their mommy or daddy, or their grandma or grandpa, or whoever is special to them.

I hope I never forget the day that Sam and his daddy made their knight costume. He is a lucky boy to have a daddy like that.  (and yes...they did make an extra little sword for little brother Cooper to have when he woke up from his nap!)

My two little knights :)

No comments:

Post a Comment